Tuesday, August 1, 2017

WHEN FAITH CATCHES FIRE, by Rodriguez N Crosby



This book is a mixture of sociology, Christianity, and politics. Samuel Rodriguez and Dr. Robert Crosby are the authors of this book. They combine these genres in this book as it address issues confronting the current events involving the Christian Church. Rodriguez and Crosby begin allow Robert Morris to start out with a Forward. Both authors begin with their own Introduction. They then spread out their content in three parts and 12 chapters. Each chapter ends with questions for reflection and perspective. Rodriguez and Crosby end with a Conclusion and an Appendix dealing with racial concerns from communities of color. They end with Acknowledgments, Notes, and Resources.Rodriguez is the President of the National Hispanic Christian Leadership Conference. It is the largest Hispanic Christian organization. Crosby is a pastor, conference speaker, and co-founder of Teaming Life. He has pastored multiethnic churches in New York, Boston, and Tampa.

This is an informative and eye-opening book. I never knew before about the specifics of the influence of those of Hispanic origin, in regards to the church. I have always deplored the lack of diversity in the congregations I have belong to. And the current congregation I'm in is no different. And when he cited stats about how many Hispanics really voted for Trump in the 2016 election, I was rather surprised. I always knew that Cuban-Americans support the Republican party. And I was surprised that Hispanic Evangelicals, like Caucasian Evangelicals, vote conservative based solely on abortion. Many would call the authors "holy rollers" because of their strong support for Charismatic experience, specifically speaking in tongues. The book makes me feel how much I have missed by the kind of heavily liturgical congregations I have always known. I'm disappointed that the authors say nothing about poor Caucasians, and that they face many of the hardships faced by poor African-Americans and poor Hispanics. And it seems like they lump all Caucasians as entitled, racist, and subconsciously feeling superior to non-Caucasians. But I agreed with many of their conclusions. And I know that many of us, me included, can use much more "passion" in our devotional and worship experience.

I recommend this book for all pastors and spiritual leaders. I especially recommend it for Caucasian and African-American pastors and spiritual leaders. And I recommend it for more seasoned believers. I would like to see many of those I attend worship with, read it. While it contains many good suggestions, they aren't easy or comfortable to put into practice. This is like "Christian sociology." I have received a complimentary Advance Review Copy of this book. I received it from BLOGGINGFORBOOKS. It is an uncorrected proof of what will be in final product. I received it in exchange for y honest review of this book. I wasn't required to give a positive review of this book. You are advised to check this review against the final copy of the book. More Info

Author Bio

No comments: