Sunday, March 6, 2016

Apply the Word Study Bible (NKJV)



This is a hardback study Bible. It starts out with a Table of Contents, listing all the Books in the Bible along with the page numbers. The Publishers include a Foreward about this particular Bible and what it is meant to mean in the reader's life. The Preface describes all that went into the actual translation process of the NKJV. Each of the Books of this Bible open with an introduction. These introductions describe the background of each book and detail the purposes of each Book. Interspersed throughout many of the Books are Timelines of Biblical events. Sometimes maps are included in the text. There are brief descriptions of many of the key Biblical characters. Throughout all the Books are sidebars which provide thoughts for application of verses and principles. The words of Christ are in red. The Editors end this Bible with a concordance and maps of Biblical locations.

I have studied four books in this Bible. In the Old Testament, I studied the Song of Solomon, the Book of Ruth and the larger Book of Isaiah. In the New Testament, I studied the Gospel of John. I'm impressed at this version of the Bible. It contains the seal "Guaranteed for Life" on both the front and back covers. It lives up to the promise. This Bible is quite durable and there seems little concern that it would come part in the spine. The pages are crisp and clear; the print is easy to read. The sidebars could be distracting and I would read them before reading the text. I'm one that likes the smell of fresh books and this Bible was no exceptions! This translation, the NKJV, is not as hard to understand as the original KJV as the words "You" and "Yours" are used rather than "Thee" and Thou," for example. No translation is perfect, being done by imperfect humans. The sidebars are most helpful if distracting, and don't clain to be inspired. I felt myself being taken back in time as I read these Books of people in another time and in another culture. The text itself would be fairly easy to understand, even without the sidebars. Each Book I studied was a little clearer because of the clarifying articles before each chapter, and the sidebars. I personally prefer Christ's words to not be in red, and for the text to be single column which makes it more modern. This form is fine and it makes the Bible easier to read. If we hold that the entire Bible is the Word of God, there is no need to put Christ's words in red. Remember, the original Bible did not have chapters, verses, and Christ's words were not in red. But this Bible is one that I would like to keep and use over and over as the material is timeless.

I recommend this Bible for all people. I can't recommmend it highly enough. I recommend this Bible for every Pastor, for their own spiritual growth as well as for helping them to prepare sermons. I recommend it for every Christian. It fits every stage of spiritual development. It is not a niche Bible, like men's Bibles or women's Bibles. So it is for anyone. It might not be for those who prefer just plain text, single columns, or read the original KJV only. It would be wonderful if the editors would come out with a youth edition of this Bible. If you are a blogger, consider ordering this Bible, read a Book, and review this Bible. I will provide the link below. You will not be sorry that you did!

I acquired a complimentary copy of this Bible from BookLook Bloggers in exchange for this honest review. I was not required to give a favorable review of this Bble.

No comments: