Monday, December 10, 2018

THE LUCKIEST MAN, by John R. Paine



This is a an ALS (Lou Gehrig's Disease) memoir. John R. Paine, the author, is a successful businessman and lay leader in Plano, Texas. He has lived with ALS for 17 years. Once active, Paine now uses a wheelchair. He has switches with the business world to the service world. He mentors people and shares his Christian faith. I can find no information about Seth Haines, who seems to be the ghost writer. The author begins with an Introduction. He spreads his content across three parts and 18 chapters. He wraps this up with Acknowledgements and an author bio at the end of the book.

I found this book to be as inspirational, powerful, uplifting, and interesting as I believed that it would be. I got out of it what I know to be true. Society (in the form of most our parents and our schools) teach us and instill in us the concept that we are our achievements, accomplishments, and strengths. After all, its these that people get awards for in careers where they have titles and are able to work in positions where they garner prestige, honor, and enjoy camaraderie and mutual admiration with their colleagues. The author details how he enjoyed all these advantages. Then he got ALS, which cost him his career and hence all these advantages. (And many people never enjoy these advantages to begin with). I wasn't surprised that it took quite a struggle for the author to come to terms with ALS. I was stunned & moved when he concludes that, if he had to do it all over again, that he would choose his current life with ALS over his former highly successful life. This was how intimate he had become with God.

I recommend this book for all those who are dealing with illnesses, especially chronic illnesses or condition (so long as they are well enough to read). I recommend this book for anyone who enjoys a good read, Christian or non-believers.

I have received a complimentary copy of this book in exchange for my truthful review of this book. I was not required to give this book a positive review.

No comments: